Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Jetta's New Stroller






















Mom Gets a Stroller for Me
I’m tired. I still want to be with Mom on the beach, but I get tired easily. Mom is worried. She calls my vet more often because she feels sad that I can’t breathe when we take long walks. Mom has her helper, Charlie, carry me up the beach steps. I like it. I feel special. Mom tells me I am her special girl.
She says, “Jetta, it’s my turn to take care of you in your golden years. You worked for men full time for a decade. Now I am your Service Person.”
We are enjoying our beach walk, but we’ve walked far and I’m breathing hard. I need to sit down to rest. Mom stops and finds a rock so we can sit in the shade. I sit right down on the sand. Mom strokes my head. Mom, you know I love butte rubs; go to the other end. She is sad. She is such a good girl.
“Jetta, she says, the vet told that your throat is old and you have to work harder to get air in your lungs.”
“Oh Jetta, you’re a trooper, but I think I let you walk too far this morning. Let’s sit here against this big boulder and enjoy the cool sand,” she says.
Okay Mom. At home, I trick her into giving me goodies for coming in from the cold. She is easy for at least two little treats. You can make it up to me in food, Mom. She gives me a drink of water. She still won’t let me get fat. Thanks, Mom. I guess it’s better than nothing. I close my eyes for a little nap. I love it when Mom rubs me.
She gets so concerned. Mom, don’t worry, I’m fine. I just need a little nap.
I wake up when I hear Mom talking to Charlie. Bud rests, too, but then wants more play.
Moms says, “Charlie, would you mind going to get your car, so Jetta doesn’t have to walk home?”
He leaves to get his car. Mom is very quiet. Don’t be sac, Mom. I am happy. We are on the beach! I love everyday with you and Knuclehead Bud. Mom watches me and rubs my ears. Yes. That’s great. Keep it up.
Charlie comes back. I get up and walk with Mom and Charlie and Bud.
Mom stops and says, “Okay, Jetta, you get to go up the stairs with Charlie, and I will come home with Bud before you know it.”
I leave towards the stairs with Charlie. He picks me up and carries me to the top of the steep stairs. He so strong. I like being carried up the stairs. I look back and see Mom watching us.
Back home, Charlie cleans me up with luke-warm water from the hose. He sprays nice and gentle, not like Mom; she blasts me with water. I wait for her in the yard. Finally she comes through our front gate. Hi, Mom. I’m so happy to see you. I can still wiggle when I see her. We I have such joyful reunions.
“Hi, Jetta. Oh, I missed you so much. You’re the prettiest Lab I have ever seen. “
I bury my head in her lap.
Mom says, “It’s my turn to help you. We’re going to get you a doggy stroller, so I can push you when you’re tired. Darling Jetta, we are two old girls growing old together. It’s the least I can do for you since you’ve devoted most of your life to helping me. We will yet have more fun adventures together.
Oh Mom, you are such a good girl.

1 comment:

  1. I love this story. We used to pull our old dog, Eli, in a wagon when he got too old to walk as far as his companion, Ranger.

    ReplyDelete