Friday, September 24, 2010

How I Managed to Train 2 Service Dogs

9/24/10
I know that I am crazy to raise and train another service dog on my own, especially with my being 10 yrs older and my disability. The truth of it is that I have had my friends and my community helping out all along. The fine men of the Lyon's Club built my beautiful fence around my yard when Jetta was a puppy and they also paid for my new pup Bud. Another friend gave me money to buy Bud also, but that money went to his training since he was already paid for. My friends from Aquanetics raised money for his training also.
When I sadly found out about Bud's elbow displacia when he was 7 months old, his surgery was paid for by an Angel Fund from UC Davis, because he was a service dog (and they fell in love with him and Jetta, too). Harbor Labs and other non-profit organizations also donated to the cause...my prayers were answered. The vet said that Bud would be able to be a service dog even with his displacia, and that I would just need to keep him lean, and swim him a lot, which of course he loves, (and Jetta gets to swim, too, keeping her legs strong). One of my goals of Jetta's book is to help to encourage people to find ways to have their dogs have a full enriched life by training them so they can really fit in with their families and be able to be with them as much as possible. It's tons of work but the joy of teaching your dog to help you is very rewarding. The dogs love it too. Let me know about any of your needs, so I can try to help find answers. And you can share your tales about your own pups here, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment